Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Top 7 - Country Night/Martina McBride

I am so excited for tonite! I am one of the people that LOVE country music and look forward to this theme each week. I don't really know Martina's songs (other than what's been song on Idol before) but I'm sure she'll be fine. I can't wait to jump right in!

Phil Stacey - "Where the Blacktop Ends". Well right of the bat you can tell that it's different. He actually starts of the song correctly and with confidence. He sounds like he's having fun and is actually showing some personality on stage. Also, it seems like he took Martina's advice and added some of the soul into the first half of the song. It really works. This is, finally, a great performance from Phil. His voice sounds strong, he's having fun on stage, and he's connecting to the song. Finally! Grade B+
>>Surprisingly good country!<<

Jordin Sparks - "Broken Wing". Well it's definitely gotta be hard singing an artist's song right in front of them but she did it with Gwen as well. I don't think it'll rattle Jordin too much. She sounds great on the opening of the song. I love the softness of the opening and the slow cresendo into the chorus. Wow! Heading into the chorus she really opened up and saaaaaang! This is a phenominal performance. I think it could be one of Jordin's best! She ended the song so strong and had a lot of emotion in her voice. I'm sure Martina is proud. Grade A
>>Sultry. Diva-licious. Powernote.<<

Sanjaya Malakar - "Something To Talk About". It started out just ok. His voice sounds ok. Ok, nevermind it's progressively worse. It sounds horrible, like karaoke gone bad. The song choice is ok but he's getting uninspired with each passing moment. I can't take much more of this. After two great performances it's a pretty he has to stop the momentum. He really needs to go tomorrow. Grade F
>>Literal. Sloppy. Pained/Painful.<<

LaKisha Jones - "Jesus, Take the Wheel" WHOA! I can't believe she's taking on Carrie. This is going to be very interesting. Well, she doesn't sound country at all. You can hear the R&B in her voice. I feel like she's shouting through the chorus and missing notes everywhere. This doesn't sound nearly as good as Carrie's. I think because she's not nailing the song of a very popular Idol she could actually get the boot tomorrow. It'll be very interesting. Not her best performance. Grade C
>>Off-Rhythm. Lispy. Flat.<<


Chris Richardson - "Mayberry". Hm, I'm not sure about Mayberry. Rascal Flatts is perfect for him because his voice is higher but not the best song. Wow, his voice really fits! He sounds very similiar to the Rascal Flatts guy. He sounded good all throughout the song. It was fun but not sure it was the best song choice. The song was pretty forgettable. He could have really blown it away with "What Hurts the Most" or something like that. I liked it though. Grade B
>>Totally butt-hurt.<<

He looks to be really upset about what the judges are saying. I'm not sure if it's because of everything that happened at Virginia Tech or if he's worried about leaving. Personally, I think that V.Tech really affected his performance tonite. Hopefully he'll have the chance to come back next week and get back on track.

Melinda Doolittle - "Trouble Is A Woman". I've never heard this song before. Not sure what to expect. Damn, her vocals are spot on. She sounds amazing. This is a great song for her. It's fun and fast-paced yet still has actual singing in it. Melinda is having fun performing it. Overall a great performance (once again. Can we expect any less from her?). Grade A
>>Can do anything.<<

Blake Lewis - "When the Stars Go Blue". I've never heard this song either. Hm, not sure how I feel about it. He sounds good but still sounds a little awkward singing this song. However, I do like the control that he's showing on his falsetto notes. He needs to stop lifting his head when he goes for the higher notes. It was an interesting choice. Not my favorite of his but it was good and he sounded good on it. Grade B
>>Kinda boring & calculated.<<


Well overall I was pleased with this week. It's always fun to have country week for week. I thought Martina was decent as a mentor. She didn't offer too much really useful advice but was able to help them really focus on the country aspect of it. She did seem to really enjoy being there (unlike Gwen).

Sadly, i think the bottom 3 are going to be Sanjaya, LaKisha and Chris. As much as I think Sanjaya should go home I don't think he will which leaves us to LaKisha and Chris. I'm going to be very sad to see either of them go but I think tomorrow will finally be the shocker episode and LaKisha will be sent home. She's going to fall into the Lisa Tucker box and did poorly on an Idol song so the public will be very unforgiving. I have been saying that LaKisha was going to be the shocker and it's finally going to happen. I'm just sad that LaKisha won't be around for Idol Gives Back next week.
>>Bottom 3: same, Going Home: Sanjaya<<

No comments: