Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Top 6 - Andrew Lloyd Webber Week

Welcome back reader(s?) to what is sure to a trainwreck of week this time. Andrew Lloyd Webber week. This has the potential to be the new Gloria Estefan week as all-time worst theme. ALW has some classic broadway songs but so many of them are so dated sounding. I don't think anyone will have an easy time with this one. We'll see how they do. To quote Black-Eyed Peas, "let's get it started!"

Syesha - "One Rock and Roll Too Many". This is probably the most random song we'll hear tonight. Well, right off the bat I love what she's done. It's a little theatrical, but at the same time it completely works for a concert. She's showing a lot of personality. It kinda reminds me of when Kelly Clarkson did Big Band Week. It's fun and playful, plus she sounds great. This is a great way to start the show tonight. She really performed way better than anyone thought she would. Grade A-.

Jason - "Memory". This should be very interesting. It's probably one of the most famous broadway songs ever written and Jason is not someone that you would picture singing it. Well it started out well. His phrasing is a little odd but that's ok. However, once he gets into the 2nd verse he starts to lose it. I feel like he's getting lost in the song and panicking a little. The softness of his voice does lend itself well to the song but I don't think it was a great performance. He was pretty nervous all throughout. Grade C

Brooke - "You Must Love Me". Good choice for Brooke, considering all people have to compare it against is Madonna (who isn't a strong singer either). WHOA! she stopped the orchestra. That's huge! No one has ever done it on the show and I think she just bought her ticket home. My guess is that she'll have tears in her eyes by the end of the song. Her voice actually sounds really strong on the louder parts. However, she's doing Madonna's version almost note for note (including all of the inflections). Grade C-

David A - "Think of Me". WHAT?! random song choice for him. This'll be really interesting. Wow, this arrangement is really cool. I like it a lot. It totally sounds like a pop ballad. This was awesome. Grade A.

Carly - "Jesus Christ Superstar". Finally! Carly singing broadway and rocking out! This is what everyone has been waiting for. Hopefully it's worth it. Well she's definitely having fun now. All smiles. Ok, that was fun to watch. Not as rocky as I was hoping for but I really enjoyed it. Grade A-

David C - "Music of the Night". Ok, this should be really interesting. I'm curious to see what he did with this one. Interesting, he's just doing a straight version of the song. That's actually a little unexpected. His voice does sound a little different thought. It's way more theatrical tonight and not the rock stuff that we've grown accustomed to. I didn't get the rocker note at the end but overall it was really good. Grade A-.

So this actually wasn't the trainwreck that I thought it was going to be. Actually I really enjoyed the theme this week. They all picked good songs. If I had to guess the bottom 3 I would say Syesha, Jason and Brooke. I'm picking Brooke to go home tonight.

No comments: