Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Top 5 - Neil Diamond Week

I'm not too familiar with Neil Diamond songs so I think this will be interesting. At least it will be a good indication on how good everyone is depending on how engaged I stay with their performance.

Jason - Jason really needs to actually pay attention with what he's doing. He looks so stupid each week. He sounds ok on the song. It's nothing special but it doesn't sound bad. I feel like it's been a while since we've seen Jason play his guitar. He definitely seems more comfortable with it. Grade B

David C. - "I'm Alive". Again, it's good but not blowing me away at all. However, I can totally tell that this is a Neil Diamond song (even though I've never heard it). It was a good vocal but just an average performance. Grade B

Brooke - "I'm Believer". I feel like the key is too low for her voice. She still looks a little nervous in her eyes. Again, it's a fine performance but nothing that's really blowing me away. It's definitely better than last week's disaster. Hm, I enjoyed the ending of the song. I felt like she was finally getting into it. Grade B

David A - "Sweet Caroline". Well no one is really jumping ahead of the pack this week. Once again, it's a good vocal but average performance. It's wasn't crazy about his song choice because it's so karaoke but he was able to make it sound good. Grade B.

Syesha - "Hello Again". She looks so different with straight hair. ok, the hand waving in the mosh pit needs to stop. It looks dumb. I'm not a fan of this performance. Good vocal but really boring song and performance. Grade B-

Jason - "September Moon". Ugh. I'm totally bored. I just don't get it. Good vocal but boring performance. The ending was horrible. Jason didn't have a good night. He's just not taking the competition seriously. Grade C

David C. - I'm bored with this song as well. His voice goes a little flat on the higher notes, but his voice fits Neil Diamond songs perfectly. I guess overall it's a decent emo love song. He made it sound good, just not my favorite that he's done. Grade B+.

Brooke - "I Am....I Said". I think she's smart to show off two instruments tonight. It'll help make up for last week. She's doing alright. She's showing some good emotion on the song. Grade B.

David A. - "America". Is trying to pull a Kristy Lee with singing an America song? He has such a fantastic voice but picks crappy songs that don't really show it off. Half this performance is "they're coming to America". It's repetative and boring. I liked the ending of it. Grade B+

Syesha - "I Thank the Lord for the Nighttime". This is a cool, throw back sound. I think she sounds really good and is showing off a lot of personality on this song. She's finally becoming a true performer and I think she can stay until Top 3. Grade B+.

I find it odd that they're really trying to pigeon hole Syesha into a broadway star. And Simon just gave her the kiss of death. I definitely think she was better than Jason and Brooke (so, looking at the last couple of weeks, it means she's leaving).

My bottom 3 would be Jason, Brooke and Syesha with Jason going home. However, I don't think that's going to happen. Simon is probably right and Syesha will go home.

No comments: