Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Top 6 - Bon Jovi Night

I am definitely excited for this week. I love Bon Jovi and it'll be very interesting to see how they all adapt to the rock theme of the week. I definitely think the women are going to have a tough time with it but we shall see what happens.

Phil - "Blades of Glory". If Phil doesn't rock it out tonite then he's gone for sure. His voice is the one that lends itself to Bon Jovi more than any other left in the competition. This song is perfect for him because it combines the country side with the rock side. This should hopefully be good. I like seeing him in the audience and interacting with the crowd. He's definitely having fun with the song and yes, his voice fits perfectly with it. He is definitely nailing it. I really liked this one. Grade A-

Jordin - "Living On a Prayer". Well, for someone that has grown up on Bon Jovi and knows all their stuff she really seems nervous about singing the song. This is a really tough one because of the octave jump in the chorus but she should be able to pull it off. However, from her first note you can see that she's scared about it. I think we may have finally found her weakness and that's the low register. We know she's great when she hits the higher notes but having to sing an entire verse in her low register is killing her. The key should have been raised a little. She's handling the octave jumps well but everytime she goes back down it's a struggle for her. This is a really shaky performance. Well, at least she admits that this was not her week. Good for her. Grade C

LaKisha - "This Ain't a Love Song". Well it's nice to see LaKisha actually showing some personality tonite. I loved her little comment about the camera showing her slim side. So I have never heard this song before but I'm glad she decided to do a ballad because she for sure would have been gone with any other song. This song, however, seemed to fit her to the T. She threw herself into and really sang it. Finally, there was no shouting in the middle of the song. Finally she showed some emotion in her voice and in her stage presence. Finally we got the LaKisha back from the semis. It was a great performance. Grade A

Blake - "You Give Love A Bad Name". So Blake is going to change it up and do something daring huh? I'm very curious to see what he does with such a well known song. Well, the opening beatbox stuff is hot. Great way to start out the song. His vocals actually sound stronger than they have in the past, that's impressive. However, he's still lifting his head at the end of every phrase. I'm getting tired of seeing that. I wish he'd just keep his head still. Oooooooh, I LOVE the beatbox breakdown in the middle of the song. He is having so much fun with this. He completely made the song his and got the crowd to buy into it as well. What an awesome job! This was the most original performance on Idol out of every season! Grade A+

Chris - "Wanted Dead or Alive". I'm very nervous for Chris with this choice. After Chris Daughtry killed it last year I think everyone is going to be comparing the two. Chris R. doesn't have the same kind of voice and I think his voice is too thin for this song. I gotta say though, his opening has really impressed me. If he can keep his voice in this lower register he might actually be able to pull it off. Hm, in the 2nd verse he started losing it a little. The vocals are fine but there's no life to the performance. He's just singing it. It's a shame because he actually did pull it off vocally. His vocals were way better than I thought he was going to be. Grade B-

Melinda - "Have A Nice Day". Finally we get to see Melinda rock out a little bit. Haha, she's so funny in her interview segment. She admits that she has no idea how to rock out or be a rocker. I like her song choice because it's so different from her character. If she throws in the right attitude she could pull it off. She seems to be doing a really good job with the song. For not being a rocker she is actually doing well and having fun with it. I love the attitude that she's throwing into it. That's what is needed to make this song work. Of course, vocally she is still superb. I liked the performance. Grade A-

Overall, this was a great night. I really liked this theme and we had some great performances. People really stepped it up tonite. If I was to choose the bottom 2 for tonite it would be Jordin and Chris. As for who is going home, I have no idea. Since everything is going to be combined with last week's votes it's all up in the air. Sadly, I do think that Chris will be one of the two going. For that last spot I just don't know. I'm going to be very nervous for the next 24 hours.

No comments: