Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Top 8 Guys

Hey everyone. Sorry I missed last week but I had to work both nights and didn't get a chance to watch the show until really late at night. Tonight I was watching it at a friend's house so I didn't get to blog live but I'm still going to give my thoughts about tonight's performances.

First up is Luke. I thought this was the perfect song choice for him. Yes, it was a little cheesy, but I think that's pretty much what Luke is....cheesy. There is no way he'll win this competition but I thought tonight was his best performance yet. George Michael is the perfect guy to emulate for his voice. I thought the song worked. Luke was having fun on stage and seemed to be really enjoying himself. I liked it. Grade B.

David A.
- It as cool seeing David open up on the piano (just to remind everyone that he's multitalented). I thought the song choice was a little odd for him but it worked. I liked how he changed it up a little bit. In my opinion, this was his weakest performance thus far on the show, but it was still a hell of a lot better than everyone else tonight. It's going to be hard to top last week's performance. I just hope he didn't peak too soon. Grade A-

Danny
- *sigh*. I'm over Danny. I hate mugging of the camera. I hate his diva attitude. I hate his new scarf every week. I thought this performance was a mess. Tainted Love isn't really a singer's song since it's pretty repetative. Danny's voice was all over the place as well (I think it's interesting that his voice doesn't fit what you see on the screen. Closing your eyes, you wouldn't picture Danny to be singing it). I just didn't like anything about this performance. Grade C-

David H.
- I was worried when I noticed that he was singing a Celine Dion song. But David has a really strong voice that was able to channel the song really well. I loved the different emotions he was conveying through the song and changing his voice up to match them. I thought he did a great job and made it into the Top 12. I'm really happy for him! Grade A-

Michael
- this was a perfect song choice for him. He can definitely channel the 80s rock thing. Simple Minds/INXS/early U2 could be good for him to focus on. This was a good performance but once again, I'm not awed by him. I still find him to be pretty blah and I think he's dropped so much ground in the competition (especially after all 3 David's have been performing so well). He needs to really shine on a song or he'll be out around 7th. Grade B

David C.
- when the song first started I thought "Lionel Richie?!" But as the song got going into the chorus I found myself to really LOVE what he had done with the arrangement and changing it into more of a rock-type song. By mid performance he was in total command of it and really created a whole new song with new emotions. It reminded me of an REM type of song. I loved it! Best performance of the night. Grade A+

Jason
- I don't know this song at all so I have no idea if he was good or not. His voice reminds me of Bright Eyes (which isn't a good or bad thing). I still don't understand the appeal of Jason but it was nice to finally see him without the guitar and really singing a song. It was alright for me but I can't say that it really impressed me. I just get the feeling that Jason keeps thinkig "what am I doing on Idol?!". Grade B

Chikezie
- He's singing some Whitney Houston song that I've never heard. His voice was a little pitchy in parts. I'm not a big fan of Chikezie's and he didn't do anything to change my mind tonight. His voice sounds very similar to Ruben and Luther's but for some reason it just bores me (much like Ruben did on season 2). I didn't care for this performance either. Grade C

I feel like tonight is a pretty easy one to predict but watch me get it wrong. The bottom 3 will be Chikezie, Luke and Danny. I think the two going home will be Chikezie and Danny.

So my picks for the Top 6 guys are: David A, David C, David H, Jason, Michael and Luke. I was two off from my initial predictions. I can't wait to see if I get those right.

No comments: