Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Carrie Underwood - Carnival Ride

Today, MSN Canada posted a full sneak peek of Carrie's new album, Carnival Ride which will hit the stores on Oct. 23. I have listened to the whole album once and have some initial thoughts. First, it's a good album but I don't think it's as good as Some Hearts. When I first heard Some Hearts I didn't think it was a very good album and was a little disappointed in it. However, after listening to a couple of times I grew to love it and it's one of my favorite Idol albums yet. I feel like Carnival Ride is trying to be a little more "serious" and the songs don't have the same fun feel to them that some of the songs on Some Hearts did.

The other big thing that I noticed about it is that they are really trying to show off Carrie's voice. We all know that she has a powerful voice but it seems like every song has a power note in it that she's always going for. After a while it gets really old and begins to sound as if she's yelling through every song (I Know You Won't is the worst offender of this. I almost just skipped the song because I got tired of the high note over and over again).

With that being said, I did hear about 4 songs that will probably make radio play and I am sure that those songs will only give Carrie many more awards in the next year or two. I am sure that this will be another huge album for her. Grade on the initial listen: B-. I am sure that will change after I've listened to it a couple of times.

To hear the album go to MSN Canada.

No comments: